Extra Credit Reading: EaThe stern Stories and Legends

By Marie L. Shedlock

- Bodhisatta: a person on the way to achieving Buddhahood but is not there yet

- I like how this she-crocodile is clearly the one who runs the show, even though she is respectful of her husbands title

- This monkey is very cunning, by keeping a level head he is able to deceive the crocodile

- I want to try and incorporate poetry into my next story. Ending with a poem was a nice way to restate the moral of the story while also changing the form of the story. 

- My favorite line in the poem was "great is your body, but how much smaller is your wit" 

- "Rose-apple, jack-fruit, mangoes too across
the water there I see;
Enough of them, I want them not; my fig is
good enough for me!
Great is your body, verily, but how much
smaller is your wit!
Now go your ways, Sir Crocodile, for I have
had the best of it."

A crocodile laying in wait for prey



Comments

  1. Hey George,
    I’m not sure if it is intentional or not, but your choice of text against a black background creates a text environment where you must highlight the text to read it. Otherwise it appears as white bars on a black background. It’s kind of like how *spoiler* text can be hidden to help people avoid reading something they don’t want to. Whether you meant for this to happen or not, it seems like it could be a part of an interesting format for a story book where an outcome must be highlighted to be revealed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts